We have all heard of SMART goals but have you heard about FLY Goals?
Why are goals so important? There is nothing better than the feeling of inspiration and excitement about a new goal or idea. Without goals, it becomes much harder to achieve your dreams, no matter how big or small.
“Set a goal that makes you want to jump out of bed in the morning.”
Goal setting is important and powerful on its own, but FLY goals will take it all to the next level as you work towards building your best self.
Let’s back track for a moment. What is a goal?
“A goal is the object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.”
Here are 10 reasons why setting goals are important:
1. Goals help you stay focused.
2. Goals help you measure your progress and results.
3. Goals help you avoid the pitfalls of distraction and procrastination.
4. Goals help you stay motivated.
5. Goals help you find your purpose.
6. Goals help you celebrate success and milestones.
7. Goals help you uncover hidden strengths.
8. Goals help you identify and overcome obstacles in your way.
9. Goals help you evolve and grow.
10. Goals help you achieve things you never thought possible.
Remember SMART goals?
Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely. I have always been a huge fan of utilizing this method of goal setting when it comes to coaching and sales.
But when it comes to your life’s dream or a big risk, I think it’s critical to push yourself beyond SMART goal reasoning and practice what I like to call, FLY goals.
SMART goals play it safe. They make you ask if something is realistic or achievable. But when it comes to our biggest hopes and dreams many people would get to that step and begin to doubt themselves.
FLY goals force you to take that leap of faith.
You have a dream. A spark. An idea. You want to start a business. Take a huge risk. These are all moments in your life when basic goals and smart goals can begin to stifle you as self-doubt and fear settle in. That’s why you need to set goals using the FLY goal test.
F – Fiercely
L – Loving
Y – Yourself
You set a goal. A big one. A passionate one.
Now, make sure it passes the FLY goal test.
- Is this a goal that was made fiercely, staring your fear in the face and saying “no way, not today!” and setting out to make it happen?
- Is this a goal that supports the love you have for yourself, your self-worth and your confidence?
- Is this a goal that pushes you to become your best self? Are you pumping yourself up with YOLO’s and You Go Girls (or boys) and saying YES!
Fiercely Loving Yourself. It doesn’t always come easily. We are our own worst critics. We love the day dream and hype but in order to make it our reality we must force ourselves to become much stronger; take bigger risks and push ourselves to withstand the inevitable case of self-doubt waiting seeping in.
Fiercely Loving Yourself. It’s what separates you from those who do not chase their dreams. It’s the difference between inviting value and honor into your daily life and settling
Without active goals setting in our lives (and revisiting and revamping them along the way), we risk losing our passions or purpose.
SMART goals are helpful but may be too narrow a scope for some. Never limit yourself by applying the wrong model to what might be the most important decision of your life.
Whether it’s trying something new, getting back into something old, or simply working on your state of mind, goals will keep you honest and on track. Add FLY goals into the equation and they will take you to the next level.
So, what makes you feel inspired and excited? What makes you want to jump out of bed in the morning? What makes you want to FLY?
Written by Katya Juliet